This document is intended to provide general information and practical guide to international Students who are granted with the “Scholarship Programme for the citizens of the OIC and the NAM Member Countries” by the Government of the Republic of Azerbaijan. This guideline draws a Framework of the rights and obligations as a foreign student, and constitutes a basic source of the Information that students can use. However, international students are highly encouraged to obtain More extensive information from respective bodies of admitted educational institutions and consider This guidance as a complementary source.
Details about the Azerbaijan government scholarship
- Country: Azerbaijan.
- Course level: Bachelor, Master, PhD.
- Financial Coverage: Fully Funded scholarship.
- Application deadline: April 1, 2022.
- Funding provided by the Azerbaijan government scholarship.
What does the scholarship cover?
• Tuition fees
• International flight (once in a year, economy class)
• Monthly allowance (800 AZN, includes meals, accommodation and cost of utilities)
• Medical insurance
• Visa and registration cost
Specializations in Azerbaijan government scholarship:
Culture and Arts fields:
- Oil and Industry Studies.
- Tourism and Management.
- Life Sciences.
- Physics and Electronics.
- Computer Science.
- Civil Engineering.
- Petroleum Engineering.
- Chemistry and Chemical Engineering.
- Architecture and Construction.
- Mechanical Engineering.
Social science fields:
- Geography and Environment.
- Law and Psychology.
- Political Science and Philosophy.
- History and Archeology.
Student’s rights and obligations
What are the rights of student in the context of scholarship coverage?
The agreement on an educational grant is to be signed between a grant awarded student and relevant
According to the signed agreement a student has a right to:
• be freed from tuition fees of the admitted educational institution;
• be explained with the education process and internal rules of the educational institution;
• be provided with visa, registration, transportation, medical expenses (insurance) and monthly
allowance (for accommodation, meals, transportation, books, and utility costs) for a duration of
no more than 10 months of each educational year, and in accordance with the terms of the
• be provided with the official documentation on study after successfully completing education
• ask for an extension of educational grant for a maximum period of 1 semester, in a case of
experiencing unplanned emergency situation and etc.
* Please check the regulations of the respective educational institution in order to learn about
* Please check the detailed information about rights and freedoms of foreigners in the territory of the
Republic of Azerbaijan at http://www.azerbaijans.com/content_1777_en.html
What are the obligations of student in the context of scholarship coverage?
According to the signed agreement a student has an obligation to:
• meet the required minimum average point (51) in order to get the educational grant any
• bear the responsibility of paying 50 percentage of the education fee to the bank accounts of the
educational institution, in a case of failing to meet above mentioned requirement;
• follow internal rules of the educational institution and the legislation of the Republic of
Azerbaijan and etc.
* Please check the regulations of the respective educational institution in order to learn about
Questions related with documentations
How can a student get a visa?
• A single entry visa for scientific and educational purposes for students awarded with a
scholarship is to be issued at the Heydar Aliyev International Airport (Baku, Azerbaijan). A
student is provided with relevant support letter in order to foster their travel to Azerbaijan
smoothly. Implementation of the visa issuance at the international airports of the Republic of
Azerbaijan and payment of visa fee is provided through the “ASAN Visa” system and “ASAN
Payment” system respectively. The visa fee is 20 USD. The amount of visa fee is to be
reimbursed to a student by respective educational institution.
• The citizens of some countries may also get an electronic visa via the “ASAN Visa” system (see
list of eligible countries: https://evisa.gov.az/en/countries). The electronic visa is issued
within 3 (three) working days and determines the duration of stay in the country up to 30 days.
The visa fee for an electronic visa is 20 USD (excluding service fee). Despite of non-working
days and holidays, urgent visa issuing opportunity within 3 hours through “ASAN Visa” system
had been also created. In order to get detailed information, please visit www.evisa.gov.az
• The citizens of the CIS member countries are not required to obtain a visa for entering
• For the most current visa information, please visit https://mfa.gov.az/en/category/visa
What are the migration rules in Azerbaijan?
• The rights and obligations of foreigners and stateless persons on the territory of the Republic
of Azerbaijan are defined by the Migration Code of the Republic of Azerbaijan. According to
Article 76.3 of the Migration Code, foreigners and stateless persons on the territory of the
Republic of Azerbaijan must adhere to the declared purposes of arrival in the country.
• Foreigners or stateless persons who stay temporarily in the Republic of Azerbaijan for more
than 15 days should get registered upon place of stay. Temporary staying period of foreigners
and stateless persons, who enter the Republic of Azerbaijan upon visa, cannot be more than the
staying period indicated on the visa.
• Since a foreign student resides temporarily on the territory of the Republic of Azerbaijan,
he/she should get a relevant permit for it. Permit for temporary residence on the territory of
the Republic of Azerbaijan is issued to foreigners and stateless persons by the State Migration
Service of Azerbaijan Republic.
• Foreigners and stateless persons should apply to the State Migration Service of Azerbaijan
Republic to obtain permit in this regard at least 30 days before the expiry of the temporary
staying or temporary residence period.
• In case temporary residence permit is issued to foreigners and stateless persons, those persons
are provided with a permission card for temporary residence in the territory of the Republic of
Azerbaijan by the State Migration Service of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
• The respective bodies of the universities assist foreign students to get permit for temporary
residence in the country.
• For the most current migration information for foreigners, please visit
Which documents should be submitted to the particular educational institution for registration?
• In order to register for university, a student should submit an application letter
addressed to the rector of particular educational institution indicating the specialty,
language of study;
• Diploma and transcripts from prior high school or university studies (translated to the
required languages and notarized copies);
• International passport;
• Health certificate (reference confirming that the person is not carrier of a virus of any
disease included AIDS, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C);
• 6 photos (3*4 sized);
• Language Certificate (if available);
• Copies of other certificates and diplomas.
Note: If the candidates are admitted to the postgraduate programs their diplomas and transcripts
must have an apostille or legalized by relevant public entities at the given countries.
Who will provide a student with flight details to/from Azerbaijan?
To get more information about flight details to/from Azerbaijan a student should apply
to the particular university;
• Travel costs include single entry and return ticket (economy class) to the Republic of
Azerbaijan at the beginning and end of each academic year;
• The particular university should provide economy class ticket to/from the Republic of
Azerbaijan for the student. In order to get a ticket, a student should apply to the relevant
educational institution with copies of valid passport and issued visa to Azerbaijan;
• In the case of self-paid tickets, a student should apply to the particular university with
boarding passes, copies of relevant pages of passport and electronic ticket to get
reimbursement. Self-paid tickets should be in economy class and should include travel
information from the sending country to the receiving country.
How to find accommodation?
• In order to get an accommodation a student should apply to the particular university;
• The universities provide granted students with particular dormitory at the student
campus in the framework of their potential;
• The universities may assist students to find available rental houses;
• The cost of dormitory and housing rentals is included to the monthly scholarships.
Completed application form https://aida.mfa.gov.az/en/static/22
• Copies of diplomas and transcripts of previous education (high school/college/University), translated into English and certified by an official notary service. The documents obtained in Russian language are required to be certified or notarized without translation into English.
• Copy of Passport
• Medical certificates of good health, indicating negative results for HIV, all types of hepatitis, obtained from any state or private hospital. This certificate must be translated into English and certified by an official notary service.
• CV or Resume
• Motivation Letter
• Proof of English Proficiency (for programmes in foreign languages: for undergraduate programmes IELTS 5, TOEFL 40, for other programmes IELTS 5.5, TOEFL 50)
Note: Those who will be accepted to the program in order to travel to Azerbaijan are required to hold a COVID-passport (an official certificate confirming the completion of the full course of vaccination or recovery from COVID-19), as well as a certificate with a negative Coronavirus (COVID-19)
PCR test result issued at most 72 hours before departure of flight.
More information about the program can be found on
Selection procedure and results
The selection process will cover three:
• Review of the relevant documents
• Interviews (online/Skype)
• The candidates will be informed about the results by early August, 2022
Note: only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Submission of Application
The candidates must:
• be officially nominated by respective state entities of their country (Ministries, Embassies, etc.) to the Embassies or to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan
The application deadline is April 1, 2022
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan
Azerbaijan International Development Agency
(+994 12) 5969376
www.mfa.gov.az | www.aida.az